Author Topic: Pet First Aid: Vomiting  (Read 3637 times)

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
Pet First Aid: Vomiting
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
With the weather finally warming here in the Northeast, the grass is looking tastier for the dogs to nibble on during a walk. Any pet that eats grass will probably vomit the grass and stomach contents... this is generally of no consequence.  Grass has no food or medicinal value whatsoever to a dog or cat and can cause gastrointestinal tract irritation and bleeding.   

First aid remedies for "vomiting" can be helpful or can be your pet's worst enemy depending upon the cause of the vomiting.  Using Kaopectate, Pepto Bismol herbal remedies for vomiting due to a foreign object penetration of the stomach or intestine can be disastrous!  Your judgment regarding the seriousness of the vomiting is critical.  If the vomit contains any blood at all, call the veterinarian immediately.

If your pet seems alert, active and seems unconcerned about the vomiting, then you may try cautious observation at home. Withhold food for 12-24 hours and allow water in small amounts.  Keep in mind that many small breeds of dogs can suffer severe consequences from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) if food is unavailable for longer than 18 to 24 hours.  After the vomiting has ceased for 4 hours, you may give ice chips or small amounts of water for 12 hours.  If vomiting has not resumed, slowly increase the amount of water and food again over the next 24 hours.  If the animal is not interested in food, vomits repeatedly, or seems cramped or in pain, it's definitely time to call the veterinarian. 

http://www.petville.com/pet_community/2007/03/pet_first_aid_v.html
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Miss Goodie Four Paws

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 4
  • "my strength is my enthusiasm..."
Re: Pet First Aid: Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »
Thanks for the information.  My breeder told me not to let bulldogs outside for long periods of time in the summer due to the heat.  She said they could start vomiting.  Do you know anything about that?  I think she said to use soda!

Offline Maggpie

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 220
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
Put lemon juice in your bullies water and it will help break down the phlegm build up.  When bullies pant due to heat, they can over heat very easily because phlegm builds up inside their throat ;)

You really should not have your dog in heat over 70-75 for periods of time.  Walk your bullie at night or in the early am when it is not so hot out ;)

Offline Miss Goodie Four Paws

• Bullie Puppy
  • "my strength is my enthusiasm..."
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »
Thank you so much...i always had soda in the house, but i will go out and get some lemon juice...

Offline Duke

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 7
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:49:04 PM »
So is it better to just always put lemon juice in the water? and how much?

Offline Maggpie

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 220
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »
So is it better to just always put lemon juice in the water? and how much?
I always put a few squirts in Maggie's water bowl during the warmer seasons ;)

Offline miniL

• Bullie Puppy
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »
We had an accident  on Sunday. All of sudden Feodor vomited all his food from the night before.  Wow, and he started vomiting and was really lame, didn't want  to do anything except for lay down.   I completely forgot about an old trick i used long time ago after he vomited.

After few hours of him walking slowly and vomiting  until all he had was phlegm and foamy saliva, I remembered.  SAGE!

I take a few leaves of sage ( I grow in my garden) You can also use dry sage. Pour  cup of boiled water  and brew for about 20-30 minutes.  I use a plastic syringe (  the one they use for feeding sick people) and sprinkle it in his mouth ).

Try and make him swallow at least some.  It will cause vomiting along with clearing, disinfecting and soothing the stomach.
This time I suspect it was some food poisoning ( maybe I didn't clean his dish well)  :(

Anyway, after all these hours, he settled in about 10 minutes and fell asleep.  When he woke up, he started more vomiting with the yellow bile - just a little bit,  so we gave him a bit more sage and it helped again, so he was asleep for another couple of hours.

Finally, when he woke up, I wanted to give him some food. he seamed all better, but probably exhausted from all the vomiting and heat.
I lightly boiled an egg - and he didn't want that.   I couldn't believe it - Egg is like his most favorite food!
OK, so I gave him 2 table spoons of milk - he ate that. i gave a spoon of cottage cheese - ate that.  I gave a little more and then about an hour break  to see if he'll be able to hold it. All was good.  So I boiled him a chicken wing and a but. Stock with some pieces of chicken taken off the bone! ( never give boiled bones to dogs).  He loved it - all was gone. More sleep and Chicken stock with pieces of meat the next morning....... and so long waited POOP !  :)   Happy Ending!

I wish I remembered the Sage sooner .....  and would let him suffer all this time like that.
It's very good clearing throat and cutting down the foamy saliva, plus antibacterial and soothing.

Another thing, my friend said her vet recommended a long time ago. If he vomits give him some Cod liver oil ( size of a cough syrup cup). It's also soothing  for stomach.