Author Topic: *****Cherry Eye How to fix it at home..New Video******  (Read 13616 times)

Offline miniL

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 4
Re: *****Cherry Eye How to fix it at home..New Video******
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
My Vet said and he is not the first one who said it - they can live with that all  life and it doesn't really bother them. Especially when he is young the bones and tissues are still growing and  it may just get fixed on it's own.

Another thing he pointed out that the reason for that is a minor inflamation inside the gland and if you can get rid of that the gland shrinks itself and go back in.  He gave us some topical  steroid drops and said to use it for a week or two and see if it shrinks.

I have some other natural antiinflammatory things I am trying and want to see if it helps  before going with steroids.
Does anyone has any experince  with the steroid drops, i am kind of affraid of them, even though he said toppically it shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »
i think it really depends on the dog. there was NO WAY that we could wait for harlow's cherry eye surgery. they bothered her alot. they were weeping and she was constantly pawing them. she was not happy and there was no way i was going to let her live like that. she was 4 months old when they popped and i could not get them to go back in.

you just have to decide whats best for your particular situation.

harlow had the surgeries and it was like nothing had ever happened she recovered that quick, and at dr. butchko's (the kingpin of bully vets in so. cal) the cost was very reasonable and included her follow up and meds.

Offline miniL

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 4
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
I totally agree, every situation is different and you have to decide what is best for you and your Bully.  If you see that it's bothering them I think it's best to check with the vet and see if there is  a different problem going besides the cherry eye. 

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
nope no other problems for harlow, just a big ole cherry eye that was bugging the crap out of her. hahaha

Offline MedicBarbie

• 👸 where's my tiara? 👑⛑🌹🎧🎼🚑🚒🚨🚔🚁🚁⚓️🏩🏥💳🎀♏️🇮🇪🏳️‍🌈
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 420
  • Me and my Grunt E Dawg will play all day!
    • Follow us on Twitter.. MidAtlantic Bulldog Rescue, MedicBarbie
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
Topical steroids aren't as invasive as oral steroids.  I wouldn't be cautious to use it if she needs it.  I don't like to use steroids if I don't have to either, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Hugs!  Melanie, Phat E. Dawg, Chub E. Dawg, Teenie Dawg and Hemi Dawg XOXO

Offline jayson_tampa

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 30
  • My Big Girl: Belle
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
Shadys back..lol

Yes with Belle this happens all of the time...and I just pop it back in it works for some dogs but not for all..the vet told me as long as its going back in with no resistance then its fine...but like stated by another member the only way to fix it is to get it tacked down and that doesnt always work either..

A life without a bulldog is no life that I want to know!!

Offline ABC

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 20
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
Mackie had her Cherry eye operation when she was 4 months, but it still pops out from time to time.  Most times I am able to massage it back in but if it's really bad I give her a benadryl - works like a charm.  I hope it never gets out of control again, would hate for her to keep having it redone.

Offline SS55

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 1
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
My 13 month bulldog had cherry eye when he was 7 months old and we got it tacked down asap. Just 2 days ago when I woke up I noticed the other eye got the infamous "cherry eye" this is what I did.

I got a bone and let my bully chew on it with the same side as his cherry eye for about 20-30 minutes. After chewing on the bone I put "Genteal eye lubricant" in his bad eye, then he went to sleep..3 hours later..it was all better. HOPEFULLY he wont get a cherry eye again in this eye but if he does Ill have to goto the Doctor.

So if anybodies bullies wakes up with cherry eye, try to get him to chew on his favorite/new toy on the side of the bad eye and then put the lube and hope for the best..who knows, it might work

Offline penny

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 15
  • Dixie in the u.k
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »

I came on here to see if there was any information about cherry eye as one of my puppies April has it, it seem to pop up out of nowhere, she is 5 months old now I phoned my vet he said he will see her tomorrow, but then he waits 1 week to see if she gets it in the other eye, Im going to see if he will remove it early next week, i think I might have a go at doing it myself as the video shows, I am a bit scared though.
I will let you know what I do. :(

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
penny, harlow's came two weeks apart about the 4.5 month mark. they really bothered her thought. some dont. her's wept, she would rub it on the carpet, etc. so we had them done asap. we also had them tacked opposed to removed. less chance of dry eye that way, fyi. good luck with miss april.

Offline penny

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 15
  • Dixie in the u.k
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
I dont know if Im going mad or what, but after posting April had cherry eye she went to sleep for around 1 hour when she woke it had gone, does this happen or am I going mad  ??? ???

Offline cheekybulldog

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 34
  • Spoiled Rotten!
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »
I dont know if Im going mad or what, but after posting April had cherry eye she went to sleep for around 1 hour when she woke it had gone, does this happen or am I going mad  ??? ???

You're not going mad ;D It can happen and is not unheard of. Just know that it may pop out again since it has already. ;)

Gillian, Matt and Ozzy

Offline BabeEnglishBulldog

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 1
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 04:34:13 AM »
That's a great video! It is very useful. My friend's dog has cherry eyes. I better recommend this to him.
A great English Bulldog is produced by a responsible breeder and developed by dedicated owner.