Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
  November 28th 2014
| Home | Message Forum | Contact

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:43:21 AM
Remember, unregistered guests may post in the Guest Posting Area.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Send a Bull-E-Card - Goliath's version of the E-Card.  Click HERE.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swollen scrotum after neuter?  (Read 6138 times)
angelqh
Bullie Baby

Bullieness: 1

« on: August 04, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »

Ugh...  as if the problems with a bad reaction to pain meds wasn't enough, Rockafeller ended up having a very swollen scrotum last night  (he was neutered thursday).  Luckily our vet was open late so we rushed him there and they said he has been too active and his scrotum got filled with fluid.  We have to ice there 3-4 times a day, and they gave us some sedative meds to give him if he gets too excited.   I gave him a mild one this morning because, as you can imagine, he is NOT happy beng iced in that area.     

Has anyone had this happen?   I'm hoping he'll be better in a few days, but after icing twice yesterday it has not gone own at all.   I'm just glad I have off from work this week so I can deal with all of this! 

thanks
Corinne
ksdstny
Super Bullie

Bullieness: 151

handsome boy!

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »

OMG, poor sweet boy. i'm sorry. i hope he feels better soon.

Biggie
Bullie Lord

Bullieness: 65

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »

The poor baby.  Maybe he can dip his butt in a cold bath.  Might not be as affective as the ice, but maybe less stressfull to hang out in a tub of water, then to have cubes on your pubes.
khybeemaow
Super Bullie

Bullieness: 385

you want some of dis?

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »

That's happened to a couple of my foster dogs. Both of them were swollen to the size of grapefruits and leaked fluid. Both were given pain meds and one of them was also put on antibiotics which really helped. We also tried ice without much success. Good luck.
angelqh
Bullie Baby

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »

How long did it take the swelling to go down?   Rockafeller's not grapefruit size, but it's very swollen and he seems uncomfortable.  He's on antibiotics and pain meds as well as the icing.

thanks
Corinne
khybeemaow
Super Bullie

you want some of dis?

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »

The one dog was swollen for a couple of weeks but he was heartworm positive which the vet attributed to the swelling. The other dog's swelling started going down noticeably after the vet gave him a shot of penicillin and he was almost normal after a week. The vet said he had a "bad reaction" to the neutering - whatever that means. He was so lethargic and in pain from the swelling that would not eat or move around much the day I got him as a foster. The leaking was similar to what it looks like when a female is in heat.

I hope Rockafeller is feeling better.
Katie
Bullie Puppy

Bullieness: 0

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »

ahh! This is why im so scared to get Stouffer fixed! I am scared something will go wrong  Lips sealed

Belle & Stouffer

xoxo Belle, Stouffer & KT
angelqh
Bullie Baby

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »

Ugh.  Hopefully we are just one of those weird cases where everything goes wrong, but we are off to the vet again this morning.   Last night I was looking at Rockafeller's neuter incision site, and I saw what looked like a big blister down there.   I figured I'd take him into the vet this morning.   Unfortunately, about an hour after I saw it he started gushing blood!   We made a quick bandage with gauze and vetwrap  (I am going to ALWAYS have these on hand) and went to the emergency vet.   It looks like his incision is coming open (after 9 days!) and he has a big bruise/hematoma next to his manly parts.   The bleeding stopped on it's own, but the ER vet wanted to leave the site open so it could 'drain.'   So yes, he's oozed a little overnight. 

I am just sooo upset because I took him to the vet on thursday because I felt things weren't looking right, and the response I got was 'it's fine just keep icing it.'    They brought him to the back to look at him, and I have a feeling they didn't look very well.   These were recommended experienced bulldog vets, but I might have to find someone else.

Thanks for letting me vent and I'll post later what happens at the vet today.

winwinsmom
Super Bullie

Bullieness: 79

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

I am so sorry to hear this about Rockafeller.  Hugs, kisses and good thoughts that he heals real soon!

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich
angelqh
Bullie Baby

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 12:59:17 PM »

Well, we're back from the vet and they said it looked like he had some trauma to the area  (he has been sedated since monday, and can't reach down there to lick it), and that we need to keep icing and they gave us some more meds.  He's doing ok and not acting like he's in pain.  We have another check up appt scheduled for monday, his birthday.  Smiley   
khybeemaow
Super Bullie

you want some of dis?

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »

Thanks for the update. I hope he is feeling better. Has the swelling gone down any? Is Rockafeller acting normal otherwise?

When we did the icing to the one dog, we used a jock strap. It looked weird but it worked to keep ice on the area. Also, we didn't use ice. we used frozen peas which are more "form fitting" and peas have been recommended for me by Drs. whenever I have an area that needs icing. I keep a couple of bags of generic peas in the freezer just in case someone needs an ice pack.
hoegaandit
Bullie Champion

Bullieness: 18

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »

ahh! This is why im so scared to get Stouffer fixed! I am scared something will go wrong  Lips sealed

First - angelqh - I hope that your dog gets better soon.

Hopefully it is not inappropriate to point out the risks of neutering. For example in an exhaustive study of the scientific evidence ( http://www.stonedance.ca/images/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInD ogs.pdf ) the advantages and disadvantages to neutering are pointed out, some of the disadvantages of neutering being:

Ön the negative side, neutering male dogs
• if done before maturity increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) by a factor of 3.8, this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
• Increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6, this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds
• Triples the risk of hyperthyroidism
• Increases the risk of geriatric cognitive impairment
• Triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
• Quadruples the small risk of prostate cancer
• Doubles the small risk of urinary tract cancers
• Increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• Increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations".

Ön the negative side, spaying female dogs
• if done before maturity increase the risk of osteosarcoma by a factor of 3, this is a common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis
• increases the rsik of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 5, this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
• causes urinary spray incontinence in 4-20% of female dogs
• increases the risk of recurring UTIs by a factor of 3-4
• increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis and vaginitis, especially for female dogs spayed before puberty
• doubles the small risk of urinary tract tumors
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations".

Of course there are some positive health aspects to neutering too (see the article - which states on balance that it is probably better not to neuter male dogs, but it's 50/50 with bitches).

I need to point out that this article only relates to the health aspects of not neutering (ie does not cover issues such as "overpopulation" issues etc). If an action genuinely is a reasonable avoidance of risk in this regard, it should be considered.

I do feel that in the US there is a chorus, almost groupthink, that neutering is the only way to go though. I believe the figures in Australia are about 55% males and 90% bitches spayed, and in NZ it is probably similar. In Sweden for instance though, about 95% are not neutered or spayed, but strays are almost unknown.
angelqh
Bullie Baby

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »

The swelling in the scrotum did go down some...  although it could have been some fluid from there that drained out yesterday.  My bigger concern now is making sure the incision doesn't bleed and to keep an eye on the bruising next to the area.   Yes, we have frozen peas and corn for the icing!  haha.   He's become more tolerant of the icing.  It must be making it feel better.  He's not too keen on getting it on there, but once it's on he lets me keep it there for 15-20 mins.   He's really mad now because the vet wants him to wear a cone (although I know for a fact he can't lick the area... they're concerned about the brusing).

Devon927
Bullie Baby

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »

I'm glad his swelling went down, sucks about the cone though, LOL!

I just wanted to say that neutering my new Bulldog actually SOLVED the prostate problems he was having at only 4 years old.  He was bleeding from his penis and since the neuter and Chloramphenicol, he hasn't bled a drop.  Also I have only ever had spayed or neutered pets except for 1.  She died of uterine and mammary cancer.  Never once had any of the above listed problems with an altered pet. 

MattyGit
Bullie Champion

Bullieness: 22

The paws that refreshes

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »

I'm glad his swelling went down, sucks about the cone though, LOL!

I just wanted to say that neutering my new Bulldog actually SOLVED the prostate problems he was having at only 4 years old.  He was bleeding from his penis and since the neuter and Chloramphenicol, he hasn't bled a drop.  Also I have only ever had spayed or neutered pets except for 1.  She died of uterine and mammary cancer.  Never once had any of the above listed problems with an altered pet. 

Same here...  our only un-spayed female died of the same thing.  All the rest never had any of the above as well.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Bulldog Domain Discussion Forum Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Bulldog Domain Forum Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines