Author Topic: Some issues with Magoo's ear anyone with info on Chloramphenicol?  (Read 5210 times)

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 310
  • Life's a Beach!
Magoo is still doing pretty well. His one ear is still swollen and bothering  him. He keeps shaking his head. I took him back to the surgeon Tuesday and he said he had such a severe case of calcification  he believes that's why it is so swelled. He said he has only had a few cases where the incision area retained fluid like that. The left ear looks great. It is itchy and he keeps rubbing the cone against the wall , I can tell he isn't feeling so great. It breaks my heart looking at him.

The other issue is the bacteria that was growing in his ears. He had a different bacteria growing in each ear. The antibiotic he is now on will not kill the one form of bacteria, the lab info just came back yesterday and he is putting him on Chloramphenicol. He told me it is dangerous to humans and I need to wear gloves when handling it. I am a bit freaked out. Anyone on the Domain have experience with that particular drug? The odd thing is the ear that looks good is the one with the different bacteria that needs the Chloramphenicol.

Offline MedicBarbie

• 👸 where's my tiara? 👑⛑🌹🎧🎼🚑🚒🚨🚔🚁🚁⚓️🏩🏥💳🎀♏️🇮🇪🏳️‍🌈
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 420
  • Me and my Grunt E Dawg will play all day!
    • Follow us on Twitter.. MidAtlantic Bulldog Rescue, MedicBarbie
Re: Some issues with Magoo's ear anyone with info on Chloramphenicol?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »
It's a potent bateriostatic antimicrobial antibiotic.  It's known to be a carcinogen to humans, so yes, please, Terry, wear gloves.   It causes anemia in various forms in humans when it's absorbed in mass quantities. so please be safe.

Also, I would suggest (just because of my experience with Toonie), to invest in an otoscope - you can buy a portable one relatively cheaply, and take a look at his ears.  It doesn't need a trained eye, but you'll know what's normal and what's bad for him. and when things are inflamed.  I used mine to look at Toonie daily with her polyp, and I could see when it burst and when I needed to flush her ears. 

Also, be conscious that he might exhibit vestibular symptoms (walking in circles, his tongue hanging out to the opposite side, etc) and don't be worried.  That happens when inflammation presses on the cranial nerves.

Something like this works.. this is close to what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Dr-Mom-Slimline-Stainless/dp/B000J1FT4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300975008&sr=8-1

I hope that helps!!!  Smooches to Magoo!

Hugs!  Melanie, Phat E. Dawg, Chub E. Dawg, Teenie Dawg and Hemi Dawg XOXO

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
Thanks Mel, I think I am going to use tweezers along with the gloves. Is there any airborne danger?

He no longer has openings for his ears. They are sewn completely shut. I am assuming they will remain that way even after the stitches are removed on Monday. That's what is so scary about this whole procedure, no one can look in his ears (which he didn't have openings before due to calcified scar tissue) to see what is going on.

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
Man its never easy is it terry! Hopefully just a bump in the road hes come so far! Keep me posted ...im worried about u both! Xoxo s to everyone!

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
I know in my heart he will be so much better in a week or so. Today was difficult. I went to the post office when I ran home to give Magoo his pain meds. The woman behind the counter asked me why I was home during the day. When I told her I was giving Magoo pain meds and told her what he had done she asked me "why didn't they just euthanize the poor thing instead of putting him through this painful procedure and him then going through life unable to hear". Then I went home and that poor sweet little drugged out face was sitting there wondering why he can't hang on the sofa with Simon and ALF. I felt so bad for him. I know I did the right thing. His left ear is healing beautifully, but the right ear has me worried. The surgeon moved the stitch removal back because he doesn't think he will be ready on Monday. I asked if he wanted to see him before next Thursday and he said "no", so I guess he doesn't think the swelling is too dangerous.  :-\

Offline MedicBarbie

• Super Bullie
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
Did someone really say that?  Euthanize the poor boy?  No, Terry, I know the road you're going down and it's not going to be easy, but it will be rewarding in your heart.  It will give you something and a feeling like you've never had in your life, so please don't take what that person said to heart.

I know when they talked about the ablation for Toonie, we knew she wouldn't survive the surgery with her megaesophagus and her penchant for pneumonia, so we didn't go that route.  I don't think she would have made it, anyway, but I beat myself up all the time about not taking the chance.  It's a risk you take, and I think you made the right choice.

With the antibiotic, there's no airborne issues, just contact issues, and it's absorbed through the skin.  So just be careful with it.  I'm sure you will be fine.  If you need anything, and if I can help, I'd be glad to do so. 

Give that boy a smooch for me.  Ablation surgery is invasive, it's necessary, but it's almost difficult to see the poor baby like that, I'm sure.  Hugs.

Offline mtc

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »
Ignore the witch at the post office!!   >:(   

Clearly she doesn't know the love of a Bully!

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
Ignore the witch at the post office!!   >:(   

Clearly she doesn't know the love of a Bully!

exactly....what an ass, who says that to someone.

sweet terry.....sometimes we have to just have some blind trust and faith that the professionals know what their doing. i'm sure he's had this happen before even if the lil mans ears were the worst hes ever seen. otherwise he'd have you back in. i hope n pray everything starts to calm down so you can relax a little. u need some pain meds...lol. xoxo

as an aside....good to see you melly. xoxo

Offline MedicBarbie

• Super Bullie
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:09 PM »
Good to be back, Kimmie.... Missed y'all... xoxoxoxo :-*

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
When I got home tonight he was so much better. I am the accountant for an Organic Milk Company. They had their annual board meeting yesterday and someone was telling me the benefits of organic vinegar and water on infections. Last night and today I started swabbing the incision with an organic vinegar and water solution and patting it dry. I don't know if this is what made the difference, but swelling is down considerably and the incision is looking better. It doesn't seem to be as itchy. After his walk he sat on my lap and gave me kisses. I am so relieved. He had his first dose of the Chloramphenical, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I feel much better tonight. He was doing well in the beginning and then he seemed to regress, I am so happy he is on the right track again.

Offline Susan & the bullies

• It's a Bullie Riot!
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 115
  • Bullies or Bust!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:09 AM »
Such good news! I had heard the same thing about vinegar. Glad to know it is helping Magoo. xoxo
with love from Susan, Auggie & Violet. RIP Freida love, Jul 2006-Oct 2010.

www.auggiescloset.com

Offline winwinsmom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 79
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
Terry that is great news!  I have heard too that Vinegar is good for a lot of things.  Give that boy a big hug and kiss from us....and of course Alf and Simon  :D

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »
The farmer I was speaking with said he has been taking 2 TBSP a day in water and it has made a world of difference in his digestion and also sinus infections. His wife said she uses it on her hair and it helps with itchy scalp in the winter. I am thinking about trying it on Simon's skin. Also they give it to the cattle and said it helps with the bacteria counts in milk.

Offline winwinsmom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 79
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
here's a link for uses with vinegar:
http://www.vinegartips.com/Scripts/

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich

Offline MedicBarbie

• Super Bullie
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:14:31 AM »
I have also heard the same things about vinegar.  I use it in the water here, just out of habit, I got into it when Petunia was around and used to choke on the viscous slobber that would end up in the water bowl (before I switched her to the water bottles), and it does help with a multitude of things.   It's a fairly natural, benign, antimicrobial, antibacterial substance... so it surely won't hurt anything.

Good luck Terry, and keep your chin up.  XO :-*