Author Topic: Midge is in the hospital.  (Read 9755 times)

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 16
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Midge is in the hospital.
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
I took her in with me to work for a follow up to Fridays visit/maybe bloodwork for a dental cuz the clavamox seems to be working on the sinus thing but Miss Cleft Palate is having trouble eating(compared to what is normal for her). He can't see anything with her teeth.He says she is dehydrated. He kept her tonight so she could stay on IV fluids. This is the first night since we adopted her last year(April 24 that she has been separated from us. I spent an hour with her after work in that empty building and almost didn't leave her. The hospital has no overnight supervision. My cheeks are sunburn red (and sting) from all the tears today. We were supposed to be planning a celebration for her adoption day and I don't even know how we are all going to make it through tonight.
Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline Gracie & Bea's Mom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 123
  • Best Friends (and Sisters) Forever
Re: Midge is in the hospital.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »
I will keep Midge (and your family) in my thoughts. I say have the celebration for Midge--even if it's at the vet's office. Treasure every minute you have with her and live life without regrets.
Mary
Mary, Gracie, and Bea

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
Thank you. She has lost weight since Friday and was pretty weak when I left, but better .(hopefully )
We will be driving out first thing in the morning to see her even though I am off Friday mornings.
Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 310
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
I am so so sorry Midge is going through this. God bless you for being with her and making sure she is getting the best care. It broke my heart reading how this is the first time you have been separated since she came to live with you. I pray you get a good report this morning and the IV fluids will make her bounce back. The few times my dogs have been dehydrated they looked like they were ready to die but within  a few hours of hydrating they bounced back very quickly. Fingers crossed that this is the case with Midge.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline winwinsmom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 79
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
My heart is breaking for you to have to be separated for just a short while with your Midge. :'(  Our thoughts and prayers are with you  :-*  Please keep us posted

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich

Offline I Luv Chloe

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 7
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
I am so sorry for you and Midge.. I will keep you all in my thoughts and wish everything goes well. The IV fluids will be a huge help for sure. Please keep us updated. I know all too well what about the stinging cheeks from non stop salty tears.. We're all here for you  :-* :-*

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
I am thinking  only good thoughts! I hope everything is ok with ur baby!

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
We made the long trip out to see her this morning. I don't think either of us slept more than 4hrs.  I held my breath as I walked through the back door past the kennels and into the treatment area.  She was pigging out when we walked in.  She saw Daddy and lit up.  We took her out to potty Iv line and all. She is front wheel drive and that line messes up her groove. Poor Baby.
 Boy did she make a mess in her kennel overnight too. We will have a new update today after I get home from work.

Offline Susan & the bullies

• It's a Bullie Riot!
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 115
  • Bullies or Bust!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
Awwww, what a smile hearing that your gal was pigging out!!!! Great news!!! I too will keep praying for Midge. It is such an awful, empty feeling when you leave them at the vet :(  Praying she makes a full recovery and can celebrate her Gotcha Day soon!
with love from Susan, Auggie & Violet. RIP Freida love, Jul 2006-Oct 2010.

www.auggiescloset.com

Offline Gracie & Bea's Mom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 123
  • Best Friends (and Sisters) Forever
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »
That's great news!!!
Mary, Gracie, and Bea

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
I hope Midge gets to come home soon!  :-* :-*
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »
I just got home from work. I was only supposed to work from 1 till around 6. I left after 7:30. Midge as I was informed by her vet(my boss) will be spending the night for yet another round of fluids now with b12 added. Her IV pump started going off as I was trying to finish up my (kennel tech) duties. Everyone left at 5. It's Friday of course. I called the tech that was on duty today and she walked me through getting it going. After several attempts it ran , but her little foot didn't look right and she had tried to bite when I touched it looking for a problem in the line..
AI tried the boss'cell phone and left a message.I called the nearest asst tech left a message. I called our Manager who lives nearby. She called a tech and the tech came out.(Kristy is awesome. She has assisted with all 3 of our bullies and she's just all around good person.) Yup her foot was swollen under the vet wrap. I probably could have re wrapped that , but there was no way that anyone was going to talk me through resetting a catheter on 4 hrs sleep at 7pm over the phone. Midge was already upset anyway. (me too. My tummy decided that it had enough stress before I left the building.)
 Loooong day. Loooong 30 mile drive home in the dark. bleh

The boss says her bloodwork indicated Addison's. He gave her precorten. He tells me that after he tells me that we can pick her up tomorrow. I kind of got sad and he charged in with a plan of action using  a few terms I need to look up definitions for. Does anyone have any experience with Addison's?

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
ayyyye ....well i dont have experience treating it but at one point we thought we were going to have to have her tested for it. if u do a search for addisions u can read what we went thru. that was back in 2008 and she was 7 months old. she has always been a bit of a puker, it took me forever to find a food that worked for her and if i remember correctly she did end up having the test not to long ago because of her vomiting issues. did ur vet do the actual "addisions" bloodtest? there is a specific test for it.

chin up and give miss midge kisses.

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »
He plans to do ACTH test after she improves and recovers a bit. We trust his judgement on this. our little Midge has been a puzzle from the very beginning.
Did she have this all along? We wonder.

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
We went out to visit her and Doc said we could bring her home. He wants me to bring her in with me Tuesday. I actually thought  I was going to end up working this morning. The front desk informed me as we walked in that our other kennel person called in sick. Hmm..(mine better be a stress thing) I did offer to work this morning if needed. I got shooed out.

Doc says Midge can have pretty much whatever she wants to eat and water constantly. He thinks she will do better at home with the schedule of events she is used to. She knows the routine. She settled right in on the passenger side floorboard for the ride home. She walked in the front door and went straight to the waterer. She finished and led me down the hall to our room and hopped in to her crate.

Naptime.