Author Topic: Chloe is out of surgery..  (Read 4511 times)

Offline I Luv Chloe

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 7
Chloe is out of surgery..
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
I took Chloe to the Vet this morning at 8 to have surgery. I kissed and held her tight before they took her in.. She was in really bad shape today, couldn't breathe hardly at all.. just looking up at me, she would start choking and gagging. They took her back and I went to work.

The Vet just called, two and a half hours later, and gave me good news. Her palette was VERY long and VERY thick! He also removed her tonsils due to them also being very large. Her breathing tube is out right now and she's breathing on her own, recovering well..  :)

It's 10:30am now and he said I can come by after 2 and pick her up! I cant wait to see her and listen to her hopefully not hearing what I am so used to hearing. I hope this worked and I hope she knows how much I love her..

Thank you everyone for supporting me through all this.. Your words and wonderful advise brought me and Chloe to this beautiful day of new beginnings. Maybe being able to breathe will even help her gain weight, and build some strength up in her front legs.  :'( :-\

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 16
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Re: Chloe is out of surgery..
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
That's GREAT. It's only 8 am here. I was surprised to see you post so early.
Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline winwinsmom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 79
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
Yes that is good news.  Let us know how she's doing after you pick her up  :)

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 310
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
So happy to read this. Give that sweet little girl smoochies from me and my gang! :-* :-*

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 39
  • Never give up!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
Glad to hear she is recovering well!
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:
Wilma - English Bulldog - 9/25/2003
Trixie - English Bulldog - 10/26/2003
Indy - Doberman Pinscher - 11/15/2003
R.I.P Zoe - Doberman Pinscher - 5/9/1995 - 1/12/2010

Offline buddha

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 46
  • RIP my sweet Buddha
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »
So glad her surgery went well.   Sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery.   ;D ;D
Niki, Jeremy & Zeus
RIP my sweet Buddha

Offline hoegaandit

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 18
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 04:39:29 AM »
Good for you for dealing with things one step at a time. Recovery from surgery can take time, but can be so worthwhile!

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »
So happy things went well for chloe, most times they are stronger then we think!

Offline mtc

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
Sending prayers of recovery for your precious little Chloe !

Offline Susan & the bullies

• It's a Bullie Riot!
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 115
  • Bullies or Bust!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »
How is she doing?? Please let us know!!  Kisses to Chloe! and hugs to you!
with love from Susan, Auggie & Violet. RIP Freida love, Jul 2006-Oct 2010.

www.auggiescloset.com

Offline I Luv Chloe

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 7
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:11 AM »
Thank you everyone.. I was a little ahead of myself I think.. I went to pick her up on Friday expecting to see her as a new refreshed, and full of life puppy.. Instead, she was so weak, still gasping for air and not feeling comfortable breathing at all.. Granted, she JUST had her palette surgery and her tonsils were taken out as well. She was foaming at the mouth and I demanded to see the Vet that worked on her. I wasn't angry, just wanted to talk to him. He had told me that I could pick her up after 2 and he would be doing a C-section until 3. I got there around 2:15 and waited for him to come talk to me.

Poor Chloe! She was very raspy and groggy, to be expected. I waited with her for about 45 minutes and he finally came in to the waiting room. He gave her a shot that would dry up all that phlegm that was bubbling on the corners of her mouth. Then all of a sudden, her eyes got real wide and she looked at me in horror like she couldn't breathe. I rubbed her sides, said shhhh..shhh.. and she took a breath. It was hard to see her that way..

The day before I requested, however possible, to get before and after pics as well as what he actually removed because I wanted to see the size of the palette and then the tonsils. It was amazing how much crap she had obstructing her airway. No wonder she couldn't breathe, eat, drink, or gain weight.

I took care of her Friday night, she was so uncomfortable she slept standing up under the table with her chin propped up on the metal even though I had her couch, another couch, and a flat bed set up for her to rest on. I'll show you a picture.. Downloading it right now..

All of Saturday was like that and then Sunday, she started coming around just a little. She ate a tiny bit, I was feeding her small pieces of cheese in order for her to take her antibiotic and a pain killer when she looked like she needed one. She threw up a couple of times but that's nothing compared to the ALL the time before the surgery.. Her breathing is still a little raspy, I cant say with much confidence that its that much better, but I can tell as of late yesterday, she has more energy.. I'm just happy she made it through the anesthesia.. The Vet was most concerned about that.

One day at a time I guess.. She's so much closer to me and rubs her body against my face.. I think she's saying thank you..  :'(

Offline emmabull

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 310
  • Life's a Beach!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
Poor sweet little angel  :-* :-*.  I have no experience with palette surgery so I am of no help with recovery times. I know a lot of people here have had that surgery preformed on their dogs. Hopefully someone will post soon.  Please keep us posted. :-* :-*

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
It gets easier every day. With harlow her nares were a bigger healing issue then the pallate but every dog is different.

She will do fine im sure...they are stronger then we give them credit for!

Offline hoegaandit

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 18
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »
My heart goes out to little Chloe, so uncomfortable and sore she is standing up trying to rest. I did suspect that it would take some time for her to recover from the operation. When our big, healthy adult male bullie went in for the removal of an undescended testicle (which can be a cancer risk if not removed) he was dreadfully unhappy and was even howling a bit when we went to pick him up. Then it took him at least three weeks to recover. But after that he was physically as well as ever. I just hope that Chloe is starting to get better and the pain lessening and she will then feel much better being able to breathe better.

Offline Susan & the bullies

• It's a Bullie Riot!
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 115
  • Bullies or Bust!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
You are such a good momma. Stay strong! You are doing all the best things for Chloe. It will take time for her especially since she was so compromised before the surgery. The only thing that surprises me is that the vet let you take her home so soon. I've never heard of a palate surgery going home the same day. Maybe he thought it would do her good to be in her familiar environment.

Take each day as it comes. I'm praying she gets stronger and stronger as the pain subsides.

Please do let us know, I"m totally emotionally invested in your gal!!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*
with love from Susan, Auggie & Violet. RIP Freida love, Jul 2006-Oct 2010.

www.auggiescloset.com