Author Topic: What would you all suggest for bad breath?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline I Luv Chloe

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 7
What would you all suggest for bad breath?
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
I know Milk Bones do the trick but Chloe is so picky with treats, the only treat she likes is Pupperoni's if I break them in small pieces. Can anyone suggest anything that doesn't look like a dog treat or maybe isn't even something for dogs that is safe? Thank you so much!

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 16
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Re: What would you all suggest for bad breath?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
It depends on what the cause of the odor is. Dulce gets various bits of crud in mouth and we have to wipe her gums and mouth out occasionally. (Dulce could use a dental cleaning as well.) That was suggested by our vets as a "check first".

We give her a tablespoon or two of plain yogurt when she gets the burps (sulphur Ew). It seems to settle her tummy.

Midge would get a sinus infection that made her breath funky. Antibiotics cleared it up.  Kidney failure also causes the breath to have a urine like (ammonia) odor.
Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline I Luv Chloe

• Bullie Puppy
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
Thank you so much for the quick response.. I actually didnt think that far ahead as to what would cause it. Chloe always needs to let out a big burp during her meals in order to finish it.. I dont know if that has anything to do with it though.. I'll get more details for sure.. Thanks again! You're awesome!

Offline joy217

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
  • Brutus
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
My corgi has particularly bad breath. I had her checked out and the vet didn't find anything that could be causing it. I've tried various breath treats but none were really helping much. Since she loves ice cubes I decided to try to use those...I mixed up a couple drops of peppermint extract (found in the spice section near the vanilla) with water and then poured it into ice cube trays. She loves these flavored ice cubes and it gives her minty fresh breath at least for a little while. 
Joy

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

My bulldog is an Auburn Tiger!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Offline mtc

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »
Chole may be gulping air when she eats, swallowing it with her food.

Much like annoying little boys do to make themselves belch !

Offline I Luv Chloe

• Bullie Puppy
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:13 AM »
Thank you joy, that sounds like something I will try in the meantime..

mtc, you are 100% correct about that.. Chloe is now always so hungry, I still spoon feed her (only because she likes it and will sit stating at her bowl until I feed her out of it  :P ) spoon feeding her reduces the way she scarfes ( I cant think of how to spell this word at the moment)  down food (my hubby refuses to spoon feed her) so when he feeds them, she is more likely to also throw up a little after gagging. She just eats too fast and there is no doubt air is being swallowed.

Offline MattyGit

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 22
  • The paws that refreshes
    • The OBE
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »
How about a slow-feed bowl.  Works with our two.

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:19 AM »
I wipe my babies teeth with doggie dental wipes, ive done it since they were babies, it helps alot n they have great teeth n gums. I get them at my local pet supply.

@joy...omg what a great idea, my steeler loves ice, im going to make those for him. Thanks

Offline BabeEnglishBulldog

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »
I suggest you buy chewy meat products from pet stores that have anti bad breath features. They will surely remove a stinky breath.
A great English Bulldog is produced by a responsible breeder and developed by dedicated owner.