Author Topic: Life can change so quickly.  (Read 4682 times)

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 16
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Life can change so quickly.
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »
I needed a break tonight from the constant school, homework ,work study cycle. I have a tough bunch this weekend in the kennel at work.  We took Hank and Dulce downtown this evening to see a movie that was playing outdoors. We actually were having so much fun that we missed the movie. There was a parade going on and live music all over. We saw many people in clown makeup  waiting to see the Insane Clown Posse concert. There was a car show up the street. We met lovely Brittish lady at a traffic light. We ran into a family we have meet several times with a little bully of their own. We walked and gawked at the crowd. Hank and Dulce stopped traffic constantly. We would stop and rest every so often for Dulce. They were so well behaved.  I even had limited conversations in asl about them.  Hank sat and layed down perfectly. Dulce waited at my feet. Thankfully I keep a tight grip on the leashes and always short leash in a crowd.

As Hank was planked out on the sidewalk another dog walked past and attacked. A second joined the action. I  didn't see two dogs all I could see was Hank in front of me. Aaron removed one. I grabbed Hanks hips and pulled like crazy. Everyone was on leashes and attached to people. It all happened so fast. He' s a little shaken up as we all are. Phone numbers were exchanged. He's a little bloody,but he calmed down quickly and let me clean him up and assess  the damage.  He will get a full inspection on Monday ( I  will take him to work afterschool)  even if he seems fine.  It's not pretty. He might get a scar on his ear, but it isn't pierced or torn.

Ick. I know for sure that I don't want to work in emergency. I kinda get sick to my tummy after the adrenalin rush wears off.

Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline Gracie & Bea's Mom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 123
  • Best Friends (and Sisters) Forever
Re: Life can change so quickly.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
OMG! I am so glad Hank is okay.  SCARY!!!
Mary, Gracie, and Bea

Offline Gummis Dad

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 42
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
Dog attacks are terrifying because the real attacks are sudden and ferocious...no warning whatsoever!

I hope everything checked out ok!

Gummi's idea of a perfect day

Offline hoegaandit

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 18
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »
I think you can actually tell - the attacking dog kinda goes rigid and fixated on your dog before it attacks. If you're very quick and shout real loud it may head off the attack. Otherwise pull the dogs off by their hips.

Anyway a very unfortunate end to what seemed otherwise to have been a lovely day.

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
He's doing ok. everything looks clean and closed up  Swelling is way down on the side of his face. I kinda see a toothmark, but it looks like mostly just banged up  where one of he dogs had his face. I didn't get him in yesterday due to getting out of school late. Its' 25 miles from the house out to work. I checked him over good and we crashed out for a few hours instead. He's been on antibiotics since it happened.  I plan to give his wounds a scrubbing later this evening.

There was  a warning. The first dog's lip went up showing teeth and BAM he lunged for Hank's face. There was no use calling him off at that point.
 Hank defended himself. A second dog jumped in. I don't know about how that happened. I just saw something was latched on to my baby and I was going to defend him. Aaron flipped one of the dogs. I gotta hand it to Hank. (Good Boy!) After it broke Aaron went over to talk to one of the owners and Hank stayed sitting and facing me the whole time. He ignored the other dog completely afterwards. He made new people fans as Aaron talked. 
The poor second dog just sat shaking and terrified. It looked young. I kinda wonder if it didn't join in thinking that it was a game. I
Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline winwinsmom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 79
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »
Very scary  :(

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich

Offline ksdstny

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 151
  • handsome boy!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:34 AM »
Man scary. I am so grateful that hank didnt get seriouly hurt. So sorry for u guys.

Offline mtc

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Poor baby !!

Sounds like the second one thought it was supposed to join in?  I hope their owners were horrified!

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
Doc says no infection present currently. His cheek was swollen the morning after and now that skin looks like a burn that is healing, but its healing ok.
Yea for basic first aid. I think the antibiotics helped too.

The lady owns both dogs and she was embarrassed.( Aaron gave her the name of the training school I took Hank to.)  I was worried that she was going to have a heart attack from it all. I was worried about the other dogs and the lady as soon as I saw Hank was ok.

You just don't mess with our babies.

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
He's doing fine. He his wounds closed up. He may have a scar or two (one on ear the other maybe on his cheek) We just tell him "Girls like scars on a guy."
We took him to the feed store today and the gals were all over him.

Offline mtc

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
Awww... going for the tough guy hunka look!!  Poor baby!

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
I am so happy Hank is OK!  :-*
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline winwinsmom

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 79
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
We had an incident last week.   Walking Ashi (about dusk).  This idiot neighbor down the block, has a maltese and min pin.  I asked him in the past if his dogs were friendly and he says NO.   He NEVER has them on a leash.  Well the min pin came charging after Ashi.  I scooped her up just in time then the owner called his dog back and went inside.  Never even said, sorry, nothing!  Scared the you know what out of me although I think Ashi was more afraid of me because I screamed!

No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich

Offline Bluto's Mom

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 29
    • Dog Breed Creations
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 05:47:28 AM »
Good thing Ashi is small enough to scoop up!! That is scary! I just don't understand why people would let an unfriendly dog unleashed or not contained in some way? I know Bluto can be unpredictable and I would never let him run unleashed because of that. The only time he is unleashed is when he is in his fenced off area.
Lisa

Offline khybeemaow

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 385
  • you want some of dis?
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
We had a similar experience a few weeks ago when we were walking Spike on a leash and 2 large dogs came charging at him and one of the dogs attacked him. The dog bit the back of Spike's neck and was trying to pick him up and shake him. :o  My husband tried to pull the dog off but the dog was really latched onto Spike so my husband ended up hitting the dog until he finally let go of Spike and ran off. At some point, the dog's collar with tags came off and we called the police who went to the dog's house and had the owner later contact us, apologize, and offer to pay the vet bill. Spike required wound care at the vet but no stitches. It was sooooo scary.