Author Topic: Help!! Flea problem...  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Kristine

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 10
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Help!! Flea problem...
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »
Hi All - it's been quite some time since i have posted (probably years), but I am desparate for some good advice.

a few weeks ago we found that Mya had fleas (totally my fault taking for granted we had never had issues before and feeling incredibly guilty - had to learn this lesson the hard way).  We gave her Frontline Plus right away and the fleas definitely died, a few days later we gave her a bath and all the flea dirt was gone.  That was approx. 3 weeks ago.  Since then, we see approx. 1 flea a day jump on her - this morning i found a dead one - which tells me the frontline is still working as it should and they are dying.  However I need/want to stop seeing fleas.

The probem was that everywhere Mya layed, we lay (couch/bed) - so I have been trying to keep everything vaccummed and washed.  I have since stopped letting Mya up on our bed (which she is terribly mad at me about), just so they don't end up in our bed, but we are on the couch where she lays anyway, and then go to bed - so i'm not sure if my thought process with not letting her on the bed is even rational!  Ugh, these are nasty little buggies!!

We have been washing blankets frequently & vaccumming every day.  I am considering using a flea bomb, but wanted some advice if this is the best option and if anyone else has used any - if so what brand is best & is it worth it?

Any help, advise, words of wisdom woudl be MUCH appreciated.

Offline egreen28

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
Re: Help!! Flea problem...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
Hi,
There are flea sprays made for couches and carpet etc. That might be a little easier than bombing the entire house or maybe something to try before going that route. That way you don't have to be out of the house while bombing. I also hear a shampoo with Tea Tree oil is awesome for fighting and killing fleas. I know you are using a monthly spot treatment ( I do as well), but I have also heard of great success when using a Tea Tree oil shampoo. It's a natural flea repelant....this may help keep them off your pup or get the rest of them from now on along with the spot on flea treatment.

Offline mtc

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 8
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »
Aren't you suppposed to let her go where ever she did go before the treatment - and the Frontline will "rub" off (OK the dander will)  and that'll kill the fleas on bedding, couches and stuff?

I use AdvantixII - our K9's at work use it - I too got lax and found poor Meaty snapping towards his butt...(obviously, he can't reach!) .  One treatment and they're all gone!

Offline Kristine

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 10
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies!

We went to Petco yesterday and they also strongly advised against using a bomb.  We live in an apartment that has all wood floors - so our real concern is the area rug & couch.  We got a product for our vaccuum and a natural spray that was highly reccomended for the rug/couch.

That's a very good and interesting though about the bed/frontlilne rubbing off - i hadn't even though of that.  Mya would be very happy to be able to get back to snuggling in the morning  ;)

Hoping this is all over and behind us soon!