Author Topic: An update from Spike da Tyke  (Read 2861 times)

Offline khybeemaow

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 385
  • you want some of dis?
An update from Spike da Tyke
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:21 PM »
Spike is still as ornery as ever and has had some health issues in this past few months. His tail pocket repeatedly got infected to the point where he needed to go on antibiotics and it would get so sore that he would run when he saw us coming toward him with wipes. Unfortunately, we didn't know that the infections were way behind his inverted screw tail so the infections went internal to his rectum and eventually he developed a painful perianal fistula. After that healed we decided to get his screw tail amputated so he got his tail amputated in the first week of Dec. He healed from that nicely but two weeks ago he started limping on one of his back legs. We took him back to the vet and was pretty sure he had arthritis but it turned out that he had a tumor deep in his foot pad. The tumor was removed last Monday and he had to have a toe amputated to remove the entire tumor. His leg is in a soft cast now and he seems fine. We have to take him in every 3 days to get the dressing changed. I am hoping that he can make a full recovery from this.

After Fiona died, we didn't want to get another dog and our "crew" became a duo with just Spike and Bailey. Two years ago, there was a sad little bullie mix at the animal shelter and his face was pitiful but he was a cutie so we adopted him. His name is Ronnie.

Earlier this summer, Khybee got out and was hit and killed by a car. I was devastated. I couldn't talk about it for a long time. Eventually, I was able to come to terms with his death and while I was on a business trip in New Mexico a couple of months ago, I sent an email to Khybee's breeder to let her know that he was gone. She just happened to have kittens that were a distant relation to Khybee so I drove to Denver and picked out a kitten. His name is Kenji and the newest member of the new crew.

Spike

Ronnie

Kenji

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:44:45 PM by khybeemaow »

Offline Pudgy

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 62
  • I love Bullies!
Re: An update from Spike da Tyke
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
Sorry Spike had to go through all of that, poor baby!  Sending warm wishes your way for a speedy recovery.  I'm sure once it's healed he will be back to his old self terrorizing things!  :P 

Ronnie is a cutie!  How does he get alone with the rest of the crew?   I hope Spike doesn't give him a hard time!

So sorry to hear about Khybee.   :( :'(  Rest in peace. 

Kenji is gorgeous!  I love those markings, absolutely stunning.  Maybe it was meant to be that the breeder had a litter right around the time you sent that email.  Khybee is still there watching over you.  :)
Heidi
Two girls, Kayla and Fiona
RIP Pudgy

Offline khybeemaow

• Super Bullie
  • you want some of dis?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »

Kenji is gorgeous!  I love those markings, absolutely stunning.  Maybe it was meant to be that the breeder had a litter right around the time you sent that email.  Khybee is still there watching over you.  :)

I like to think that's what happened. I miss Khybee so much  :'( :'(

Offline chanticocat

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 16
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
I hope you and Spike feel better soon.
Dulcinea Dancer the Tater Tot ,  Hank Frank the Tank Hubba Bubba Chubba Wubba Chunky Trunk Durham Bacon Bit and Midge Smidgeon Mimi Moo Repath OWN me .  :)

Offline khybeemaow

• Super Bullie
  • you want some of dis?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »
^^Thank you

Offline buddha

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 46
  • RIP my sweet Buddha
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
I'm so sorry about Khybee.   :'(  He's still with you & I'm sure he's happy you now have Kenji.  Kenji is gorgeous by the way! 

Ronnie is adorable & looks so tiny in that picture!  Hopefully him & Spike get along well.

Poor Spike...that stinks that he's had to deal with these medical issues.  Glad to hear that his tail surgery was a success & I hope that his toe/foot heal with no issues.  How long will he have to keep the cast on?
Niki, Jeremy & Zeus
RIP my sweet Buddha