Author Topic: Meet Chopper  (Read 9635 times)

Offline Pudgy

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 62
  • I love Bullies!
Meet Chopper
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
I'm the admin on my local EB meetup page on FB and a few days ago a woman posted about needing to surrender a senior 9.5 year old bulldog by Saturday or she was going to take him to the SPCA.  She mentioned that he's been neglected the past few years by her ex husband, he got custody when they got divorced and her current living situation does not allow her to have pets so she was reaching out for help.  She contacted the rescue but they were full and didn't have any foster homes available so she was directed to my group.

I donate regularly to both Norcal/Socal bulldog rescue and I'm friends with several volunteers on instagram.  So I've seen how bad some cases of neglect have been, and I didn't want some to get him, just because they wanted a free english bulldog not knowing what they were getting themselves into. 

I picked up Chopper Friday evening and he was in pretty rough shape.  Gunky eyes, possible mange because he has lots of fur loss and inflamed skin, hip issues, and crazy long nails.  He also isnt trained, so has some bad habits I've learned.  He can get a bit snappy and growly if you do something he doesn't like.  The first night was quite rough since he was super scared and barked the whole night and was pacing back and forth.

He seemed to have calmed down a lot in the past three days, but there is definitely still a lot to work on.  He hasn't been vaccinated in the past three years, so I took him on Sunday to the mobile vet clinic and got him UTD on his shots and heart worm tested.  I still need to drop off his fecal sample, but i'm hoping for negative results.  And he has a vet appt this afternoon to get checked out. 

He was just kind of an unplanned little house guest.  I dont think I will be keeping him, because I'm not sure I can handle three bulldogs in the long run.  But most likely just fostering and trying to place him in a good forever home once his health is back up.  Luckily I'm pretty active in the bulldog community and on instagram and Chopper already has a lot of support from my IG bully fam.  I'll most likely be starting a gofundme page to help cover some of his vet expenses because theres probably no way I can afford all of it on my own since I still have two girls of my own.

Heidi
Two girls, Kayla and Fiona
RIP Pudgy

Offline khybeemaow

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 385
  • you want some of dis?
Re: Meet Chopper
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
Oh my gosh. I haven't been on here in forever. What's going on with Chopper? Did you get funding?

Offline Pudgy

• Bullie Lord
  • I love Bullies!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
I still have Chopper, and luckily my bulldog community did pull through with the funding and have been able to help a lot with the vet bills.  It took a lot to get him back up to health with the initial vet visits.  It's been over six months now while his skin condition is completely under control, placing a senior bulldog has been difficult especially since he needs daily medications which cost around $100 a month.  He also has a few behavioral quirks which makes him slightly difficult to handle at times, and he would be better suited as a only dog with no kids.  So I still haven't found him a home, he does okay with Kayla my alpha female but he will pick on my more submissive girl Fiona.  So they do get supervised time together but for the most part they are separated.

Here's a before and after, he has yeasty skin, without the meds he just gets extremely yeasty and yucky to the point where his whole body is red and inflamed and he scratches himself raw.  this pic was actually after a few medicated baths, so he looks better.
Heidi
RIP Pudgy

Offline Pudgy

• Bullie Lord
  • I love Bullies!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »

A more recent pic after a visit to the groomers to get his nails trimmed since he wont let me near them.  They have been neglected so we're working on getting the quicks trimmed back slowly.
Heidi
RIP Pudgy

Offline Pudgy

• Bullie Lord
  • I love Bullies!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »

And lastly, one of the most recent pics.  I've been working on some of his behavior issues.  The past few months he's been barking in the middle of the night for no reason, I finally purchased a citronella bark collar and we have been going on short walks in the evening to tire him out before bed.  I've also added melatonin at night to help him sleep and relax.  It's been working so far and we are all finally getting some rest.
Heidi
RIP Pudgy