Author Topic: Cherry Eye  (Read 3610 times)

Offline luvnmybully

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 1
  • Bully's R 4me!!!
Cherry Eye
« on: January 25, 2003, 10:28:53 PM »
I am open to any advice, websites etc on cherry eye...i have read alot and talked to several vets and seem to get different opinions on whether or not it is hereditary......i have an opportunity to buy a 10 month old beautiful black brendle male but he has a cherry eye....the surgery has been done and it looks good but i  am concerned about it being thrown out in his genes if i breed him.....any input is greatly appreciated.....i have never experienced cherry eye with any of my babies so it is new to me.... ???

thanks much!!!
tania

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
Re:Cherry Eye
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 10:44:19 PM »
It is my understanding that Cherry Eye may have some hereditary component to it since some breeds tend to exhibit it more often than not.  

I do know that a dog is not excluded from showing because of Cherry Eye correction surgery.  Also cherry eye conditions come and go as the Bulldog's skull goes through changes.  In that respect it may be somewhat hereditary.  I have not be able to find anyone willing to say with certainty one way or the other.  

Maybe others here have more information for you.
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline 2 Bullies

• Bullie
  • Bullieness: 0
  • Complacency is the enemy of progress!
    • 2 Bullies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 07:50:29 AM »
Sorry, but I don't have much to offer on this. We had a bulldog who had both eyes done and you would have never known it. I was told by my vet at the time that this was common in Bulldogs.

So far our dogs eyes are fine, but they are only nine months old.

I wish I could help more!
David

You who think you know it all are very annoying to those of us who do.

Offline luvnmybully

• Bullie Baby
  • Bully's R 4me!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 01:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the insight on the cherry eye....like i said i have never had a dog with it but who's to say when it can happen.....i mostlywould like this dog for breeding......he is 10 months old with surgery already done and he is at a DO NOT TURN DOWN PRICE!!!!  i will let you know what i decide.....thanks a lot!!! HAPPY SUPER BOWL ;D ;D ;D ;D
tania

Offline bullieangelresq

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 47
  • Life is not complete without my bully!
    • Bullieangel Rescue and Bullhaven
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 03:35:43 PM »
Hi,

I have been always told that cherry eyes are inherent in the breed.  You may have a whole litter that needs to have cherry eye repair and then you may have none-it is a hit or miss.  They can occur at any time in thier lifespan and there are two ways to have them repaired...one, is to have it tucked back and if this is done it is very likely that it will reoccur or two, have the cherry removed and it is a done deal.
Barbara Shaffer
Bullieangel Rescue and Haven

Offline Sue/Bear

• Bullie Baby
    • my Flickr account
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 06:13:13 PM »
Cherry eye is hereditary.  While a dog can be shown after corrective surgery has been done, the dog should not be bred as it can be passed to the pups.