Author Topic: Inverted or Corkscrew Tail...Might Need Amputation!  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Moo-Pig's Dad

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
  • Mrowka a bullie for all seasons!
Inverted or Corkscrew Tail...Might Need Amputation!
« on: July 04, 2003, 06:39:05 AM »
     Mrowka has had a  lot of problems with her anal glands and has had to have them expressed a few times. My vet has also stated that her tail was inverted like a corkscrew. She told us to keep it clean. We did our best to do so, but yesterday morning she seemed miserable, so we assumed it was her anal glands again. We expressed them ourselves, but she still seemed to be bothered by her backside.
     I took her to the vet who determined she developed an infection under her inverted tail. She gave us instructions to bathe her in Epsom Salts twice daily, clean out the area and place an antibiotic cream on it. The vet gave us oral antibiotics to give her three times a day too.
     The vet suggested that she amputate Mrowka's inverted tail immediately after the infection clears up. The vet stated the inversion and problems would only get worse as Mrowka aged. Is it an absolute necessity to amputate? Should I get a second opinion (I do trust this vet completely who raises bulldogs on her own)? How difficult is the surgery on the bulldog? What can I expect? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline Sue/Bear

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 1
    • my Flickr account
Re:Inverted or Corkscrew Tail...Might Need Amputation!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 08:40:47 AM »
Is your vet a bullie vet and does he/she have experience in tail amputation?

Sumo had an inverted screw tail and had chronic infection underneath.  The older and fatter they get, the worse it gets.  It took me almost 4 yrs before I finally had his removed and then I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.  No matter what I did, it didn't help. He was miserable and smelly.  Hair loss and pyoderm under there all the time.

A second opinion is always good especially when you are dealing with the tail since it is an extension of the spine. It should only be considered if you are unable to control it and there is constant infection.  It is a serious surgery but, once removed, the dog is so much happier.  Tails are removed at the base where they start to come down (or screw) and the dog is sore for a few days but most recover quickly with no after effects.

Sumo had a U shaped incision maybe 3" in total.

Offline Moo-Pig's Dad

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
  • Mrowka a bullie for all seasons!
Re:Inverted or Corkscrew Tail...Might Need Amputation!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 06:11:34 AM »
Thank you Sue for the reassurance and information. It makes me feel better to know that my baby, Mrowka, will be okay, if she has to have it done. Yes, my vet has had experience with it previously. I probably will get a second opinion first though. She has had a problem with her tail for some time. Not as bad as occurred recently. I want to have it done to help her as long as she doesn't suffer too much post-surgery. She is suffering now with the infection, so I am sure she would be a lot happier to avoid those in the future.