Author Topic: FOLD ON THE TOP OF NOSE  (Read 1333 times)

Offline dixiegirlsbulldog

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
FOLD ON THE TOP OF NOSE
« on: October 23, 2003, 01:14:42 PM »
JUST RECENTLY MY DOG AS BEEN IRRITATED BY THE FOLD OF THE SKIN ON TOP OF THE NOSE... MY VET HAS BEEN PUSHING ME TO HAVE IT REMOVED, DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ANSWERS BESIDES BABY WIPES... THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT CHEAP... PLEASE HELP...

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
Re:FOLD ON THE TOP OF NOSE
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 01:23:59 PM »
Goliath has a pretty prominent fold above his nose and he gets the same problem if we don't care for it every day.  This is what we do and it should work for you if you stick with it:

1. Use a cotton ball and lighlty wet it with Hydrogen Peroxide.
2. Clean the fold with the Hydrogren Peroxide
3.  Use another cotton ball to dry up the excess HP.
4.  Apply a pea-sized(or smaller) amount of unscented diaper rash ointment (such as Desitin) This keeps moisture away from the skin.

Don't be fooled by the absence of the redness as it likely will be gone quickly (that's one of the benefits of the diaper rash ointment).   You may be able to taper off to doing it every other day or even less after you get it under control, but we do this every night before bed.  At first it was kind of a hassle but now it is "just something we do" and no big deal.  Goliath's skin fold has not been a problem since.  I hope this helps.

Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Oh yeah...Welcome to the board!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 01:26:05 PM by Lord Goliath »
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline roosmom

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 2
  • when nobody else cares, my bully still loves me
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 08:14:11 PM »
There are also two veterinary products that work well. Usually with the boys, I'll wipe their folds with a damp washcloth, then dry one. The I apply either Malacetic spray by derma pet, or Avanced  pHormula, a pH modulator by micro pearls. The pH formula is great, because you can use it on their feet for yeast, to clean their ears, and it gets rid of hot spots. Good Luck!

Jessica and Crew

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 04:19:06 PM »
In addition to baby wipes, I use the desitin powder instead of the ointment.  Appears to keep it dryer.  You can buy the powder at Kroger. ;)

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 108
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
    • Love-a-Bull MN Bulldog Rescue
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:09:09 PM »
Sounds like everyone has this covered.  I'm sure once you get it under control your bullie will be fine.  There are a lot of vets out there that push surgery and I'm not sure why.  With bulldogs being so sensitive with surgery I would get a second opinion before you make a decision to do it.  I've heard others say their vets recomended their bullies nose rope be removed and when they took them to a bulldog experianced vet they thought it was not necessary.
Welcome to the board.  Is your bullie a he or she?  
Lissa and Buddy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-Roger Caras