Author Topic: artificial sweetener warning  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Susan

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 30
  • BULLY Momma to Mabel
artificial sweetener warning
« on: August 07, 2005, 06:47:51 PM »
I have been using the Trident sugar less gum with Xylitol and had read before that it is dangerous to dogs so we make sure all packets are kept up out of their reach.  I assumed they would have to eat the gum in large quantities but obviously I was mistaken.  Please read the below post from one dog list through the BullieFX list:

KUSA-TV Denver Video Report
By Cheryl Preheim
KUSA-TV Denver

DENVER, CO -- Tele is a 7-month-old Golden Retriever who loves treats. So, when 2-year-old Jordan started feeding her mints, she loved it. "I was standing right there as my 2-year-old is handing one mint for
him, one mint for me type of game and it was literally six mints later that we started seeing signs," said Lindsey Davis, Jordan's mom. Within 15 minutes of eating six mints, Tele was having seizures and vomiting.

Davis took her to Aspenwood Animal Hospital on Colorado Boulevard. Dr. Julie Kelly said when Tele got there, "she was basically in a type of a coma."

A frantic call to Animal Poison Control revealed that Tele was being poisoned by Xylitol. "It is an artificial sweetener that is in sugarless chewing gums and mints and some household baking products," said Kelly. "It is life threatening to dogs. They can die very quickly." She says veterinarians are seeing more cases of Xylitol poisoning. "We
are starting to see these animals that are getting into people's purses or their children are giving them treats and dogs like to eat anything they can," said Kelly. Davis wants to warn other dog owners.

"The compound is as close as a hands reach of the check out stand so people need to know that this is toxic to dogs," she said.

Tele is back home and feeling better but the vet says she still needs to be watched closely to make sure there isn't any permanent liver damage.

Susan Steveson
Independence, MO, USA

Owned by:
Mabel, female, fawn/white English Bullie, 7 years, 72.0 lbs
Maximus, male brindle boxer, natural ears, 8 years, 72.0 lbs

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
Koa Belle, Boxer, 6/1/1976 to 3/20/1990
Lacey, Boxer, 5/23/1990 to 9/4/2004

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »
Thanks for the information!
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline cadillactaste

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 115
  • YOU HAVE TO HAVE A BULLDOG TO UNDERSTAND...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:03:11 PM »
 :o I HAD NO IDEA~ I do appreciate this posting...To bring us all up to knowledge...And to better protect our beloved four legged friends~

It's totally amazing...That something as simple as that...And six lil' mints...Which couldn't have been a significantly large dose. Could be that...ALARMING...And do that sort of thing to our pets!

I chew the trident as well...And...Will definately keep a minds eye on the fact...That I need to have my purse put out of the reach of Tank!

I wonder what else I have in the house that contains that...I will have to go look. I mean...I am eating healthier. And watchin' what I eat...Whom knows what else could cause serious issues with that in it...
Darlene~AKA~Cadillactaste

Offline Milo the Bulldog

• Bullie Champion
  • Bullieness: 11
    • Milo's Website
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 02:41:38 PM »
Thank you so much for the information!!! I forwarded this to all dog owners I know!
In loving memory of my precious Milo
11/21/02 - 5/12/06

Offline My Little Leo

• Canadian Bullie Princess
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 88
  • Little Miss Priss
    • Dogster.com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 06:35:42 PM »
Wow! That is scary! Thanks for the info! :)
Lori, Derek, Connor, and Leo
Gibbons, Alberta, Canada

Offline luvnmybullies

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 150
  • Bulldogs Rule, Humans Drool !!
    • Carandons Bulldogs
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 09:54:03 PM »
Thank you soooooo much for the info. We eat alot of sugar free things in our house. I'll have to make sure they will never be able to get into them !!!!
Thanks again !!!
No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Carrie and The Carandons Bulldogs

Offline tonka

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 25
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 08:55:02 AM »
Do you think all artificial sweetner's are bad or just this specific one?  I bought the wrong yogurt for Tonka and it has aspertame in it and now I'm afraid to give it to him. 
Marie, Don & Kylee (and Tonka too ;)

Offline MedicBarbie

• 👸 where's my tiara? 👑⛑🌹🎧🎼🚑🚒🚨🚔🚁🚁⚓️🏩🏥💳🎀♏️🇮🇪🏳️‍🌈
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 420
  • Me and my Grunt E Dawg will play all day!
    • Follow us on Twitter.. MidAtlantic Bulldog Rescue, MedicBarbie
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 09:48:31 AM »
Good to know...

I do the same thing, I buy sugar-free yogurt, so now I'm wondering as well about that!

Hugs!  Melanie, Phat E. Dawg, Chub E. Dawg, Teenie Dawg and Hemi Dawg XOXO

Offline Owned By Bullies

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 30
  • Bullies Forever!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 11:20:42 AM »
If anyone finds that ingredient in anything....post it. My husband is a diabetic and we have sugar free stuff around here all the time. Rocco stopped getting his favorite ice cream because of this thread...even though I don't see that ingredient on the label. I guess I am afraid that some of those big words on the label are going to turn up the same thing as Xylitol.

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 11:41:51 AM »
FYI - you might see xylitol listed as polyol as well.  The polyols are the sugar alcohols.
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline Taiko

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 1
  • Bulldogs Rule!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 03:46:58 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Are there other ingredients that are bad for bullies?

Thanks
Brony

Offline Maxmydog

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 87
  • Just me and my Bulldog
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 09:17:08 PM »
Good to know...

I do the same thing, I buy sugar-free yogurt, so now I'm wondering as well about that!

Is yogurt good for bulldogs?  I don't think I've heard of giving it to them?  Please, let me know...
"Bright eyes,
Burning like fire.
Bright eyes,
How can you close and fail?
How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?
Bright eyes.

~Art Garfunkel

RIP Max  (2-1-07)- you have your wings now

Offline bella-baby

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 63
  • Bullympics 2007~Gold medal winner!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 09:58:22 PM »

Is yogurt good for bulldogs? I don't think I've heard of giving it to them? Please, let me know...

Plain yogurt is supposed to help with gas in a bully, I read on another sight that it helps with tear stains but I am not sure about that. Some people put mix a tbs in with there dogs food every night.
Best wishes
Tammy & Bella

Offline HundredAcres

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 136
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 01:06:26 AM »
The sweetener info was excellent!!!  I will definately print this out for my bullie families for future reference!!!

As for the yogurt...we give yogurt to the babies to help balance the "good and bad" bacterial elements inthe digestive track.  You can use Bene-bac or pro-Bios which has live cultures in it to balance out whatever is reaking havoc in the intestines, but yogurt works just as well.  When you are bringing up the babies, you give them the yogurt everytime there is a change in their digestive system so that the transition is easier on them...so at days 2 and 4, then at 1 week old, 2 weeks old and then at weaning time when they go from momma's milk to solid food.  A lot of folks will give their dogs yogurt when they have to have their dogs, young and old, on anti-biotics because the drugs are harsh on their stomachs. 

Offline Maxmydog

• Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 87
  • Just me and my Bulldog
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 07:57:14 AM »
Thanks so much for the info on the yogurt.  I'll definately try it!!
"Bright eyes,
Burning like fire.
Bright eyes,
How can you close and fail?
How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?
Bright eyes.

~Art Garfunkel

RIP Max  (2-1-07)- you have your wings now