Author Topic: artificial sweetener warning  (Read 12228 times)

Offline tempus

  • Bullie
  • ***
  • Posts: 109
  • Bullieness: 4
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
Wow thanks for the info I had no Idea.

Offline Remembering Teagan

  • Bullie Champion
  • ****
  • Posts: 456
  • Bullieness: 27
  • Properly trained, man can be a Bullie's bestfriend
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 10:32:09 PM »
WOW. That is amazing. I knew that chocolate and onions were bad for dogs but never would have given artificial sweeteners a thought. It's a wonder there are no pet warnings on these products. If you think about it logically, millions of people have pets so why not. Or maybe that is just unrealistic?

Offline Maggpie

  • Super Bullie
  • *****
  • Posts: 18143
  • Bullieness: 220
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 12:00:27 AM »
WOW. That is amazing. I knew that chocolate and onions were bad for dogs but never would have given artificial sweeteners a thought. It's a wonder there are no pet warnings on these products. If you think about it logically, millions of people have pets so why not. Or maybe that is just unrealistic?
Don't forget Grapes and Raisins too ;)  It kinda worries me if it is bad for the pups then is it bad for us too?  (the sweetner I am talking about)  I wonder if Splenda since it is from the sugar cane is included in this?

Offline Remembering Teagan

  • Bullie Champion
  • ****
  • Posts: 456
  • Bullieness: 27
  • Properly trained, man can be a Bullie's bestfriend
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »
Grapes too!? Uh Ohhh I use to give Teagan grapes split in half all the time. She use to love them. Why are they bad?

Offline MedicBarbie

  • 👸 where's my tiara? 👑⛑🌹🎧🎼🚑🚒🚨🚔🚁🚁⚓️🏩🏥💳🎀♏️🇮🇪🏳️‍🌈
  • Super Bullie
  • *****
  • Posts: 20223
  • Bullieness: 420
  • Me and my Grunt E Dawg will play all day!
    • Follow us on Twitter.. MidAtlantic Bulldog Rescue, MedicBarbie
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
Here's some info on it for you ;)

Raisin and Grape Toxicity in Dogs

By Lauren Shifflett
LShifflett70@yahoo.com
Hyattsville, MD

 Although many dog owners and dog trainers have traditionally used raisins and grapes as treats, RAISINS AND GRAPES IN LARGE QUANTITIES CAN BE LETHAL TO DOGS.  As few as a handful of raisins or grapes can make a dog ill; however, of the 10 cases reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), each dog ingested between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes or raisins.

 

If your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, (s)he will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery.  After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed.  (S)he may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating.   (S)he will also become dehydrated.  Both his/her vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes.  His/her breathing may become irregular, and (s)he will also become hypercalcemic (high calcium concentrations) and hyperphosphosphatemic

 

Ultimately, without treatment, the dog will go into renal (kidney) failure, and may die a horrible very painful death.  Of the 10 reported cases, only 5 dogs survived, & these only with early, aggressive, &  long-term treatment

The best cure for an overdose, of course, is prevention.  Because dogs can get hold of raisins or grapes from a variety of sources—the kitchen counter, the coffee table, vines in a private vineyard, a child’s lunch box—DOG PROOF YOUR VINEYARDS & REMOVE RAISINS AND GRAPES FROM CANINE REACH.  Do not feed your dog raisins/grapes as treats so that you can avoid him/her “getting a taste for them”.  Remember that raisins are even more concentrated (and hence more toxic) than grapes—approximately 4 pounds of grapes equal 1 pound of raisins.  The APCC also warns that any substance in large doses can be toxic.

However, if you suspect your dog has eaten a large amount of raisins or grapes, take your dog to a veterinarian immediately, and have them contact the Animal Poison Control Center for assistance.  Have your veterinarian initiate decontamination measures, and administer fluids and/or dialysis to assist/restart the dog’s kidneys.   Be aware that initially your veterinarian may suspect rat poison as the above symptoms are very similar to the symptoms of rat poison.

The APCC is still unable to determine the cause of renal (kidney) failure.  Possibilities include 1) an agent in grapes and raisins themselves; 2) fungicides, herbicides, or pesticides contamination; 3) heavy metals; 4) high amounts of Vitamin D; or 5) fungus or mold contamination.

 

Information on raisin and grape toxicity is still very new; therefore, your veterinarian and fellow dog owners may not yet be aware of the danger.   Please pass on this information to every dog owner, veterinarian, rescue group, breeder, newsletter, listserve, and pet food store you can.

 

For more information about grapes and raisin toxicity and/or all substances toxic to dogs and other animals, please see the ASCPA Animal Poison Control Center Website at: http://www.napcc.aspca.org

 

If you suspect your dog has ingested any poisonous substance, please CALL the APCC at  888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435) immediately.

 

Also please read “Renal failure associated with ingestion of grapes or raisins in dogs.” The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA). May 15, 2001. Volume 218. Number 10. Pages 1555-1556.


Hugs!  Melanie, Phat E. Dawg, Chub E. Dawg, Teenie Dawg and Hemi Dawg XOXO

Offline ilovebuddah

  • Bullie
  • ***
  • Posts: 165
  • Bullieness: 10
  • Buddah!
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
I don't know if this falls into this catagroy but...I learned on this site that giving a SMALL amount of Sprite zero in my bullies water will keep the tear stains away (for the most part). Does this fall into the artifical sweetener catagory?? If so, I am stopping ASAP~
Love and Kisses from Buddah, Candice and Josh!!

Offline MedicBarbie

  • 👸 where's my tiara? 👑⛑🌹🎧🎼🚑🚒🚨🚔🚁🚁⚓️🏩🏥💳🎀♏️🇮🇪🏳️‍🌈
  • Super Bullie
  • *****
  • Posts: 20223
  • Bullieness: 420
  • Me and my Grunt E Dawg will play all day!
    • Follow us on Twitter.. MidAtlantic Bulldog Rescue, MedicBarbie
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:09 AM »
^^
Yup, it does - Sprite Zero has artificial sweeteners in it.

In reality, it's a very small amount, so I don't think you need to worry, however, it's something to think about.

If you're looking to switch, there are a few things you could try.  Apple cider vinegar (I like Braggs, the organic, unfiltered kind), about 1T to a bowl of water.  OR, try using filtered water.  :)


Hugs!  Melanie, Phat E. Dawg, Chub E. Dawg, Teenie Dawg and Hemi Dawg XOXO

Offline ilovebuddah

  • Bullie
  • ***
  • Posts: 165
  • Bullieness: 10
  • Buddah!
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »
Wow, I am def switching. Maybe I will do the vinager...we are using filtered water, so thats good.

Love and Kisses from Buddah, Candice and Josh!!

Offline higgys mom

  • Bullie
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
  • Bullieness: 3
  • Bulldogs Rule!
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
is xylitol the same as stevia?   I let higgy have some of my yourget that i put stevia in sometimes.

Offline BabeEnglishBulldog

  • Bullie Baby
  • *
  • Posts: 16
  • Bullieness: 1
Re: artificial sweetener warning
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 04:38:33 AM »
There should be a law which prevents people from throwing their gums anywhere so that dogs cannot accidentally ingest the gums which contain Xylitol. I wish the government would grant that.
A great English Bulldog is produced by a responsible breeder and developed by dedicated owner.