Author Topic: Buddy's sick (again)  (Read 2406 times)

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 108
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
    • Love-a-Bull MN Bulldog Rescue
Buddy's sick (again)
« on: November 04, 2003, 07:22:38 AM »
Buddy is sick yet again with diarrhea.  He's been on the boiled meat and rice diet for a week and when I put him back on dry dog food he threw up and had diarrhea.  I put him back on the boiled meat and rice yesterday and had him eat some pumpkin.  This morning he's had diarrhea five or six times.  I'm waiting for the vet to open this morning.  I called the emergency vet and she freaked me out talking about hooking him up to an iv and keeping him overnight.  I'm a little freaked out.  Hopefully it's nothing big.
Lissa and Buddy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-Roger Caras

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
Re:Buddy's sick (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 08:03:39 AM »
Is he still drinking and otherwise active?  

When you put him back on dry food did you do it gradually (a little dry mixed in with his boiled meat) over several days?  If not the sudden change could definitly cause diarrhea.  It sounds like his stomach is upset due to the food change. Hopefully that's all it is.

You might try a pepto bismol tablet.  Please keep us posted and we'll keep Buddy in our thoughts.
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 08:33:29 AM »
When I put his food back out he only ate about 1/4 of a cup of it.  I didn't mix the meat and food because I didn't know but now that you mention it I should have.  
I did give him a pepto yesterday and it seemed to have helped for a few hours.  He was active and drinking water yesterday but today he's just laying down and hasn't had any water.  I have to wait another 30 minutes before the vet gets in.  I hope it's from the food switch just because then I will know and he'll get better soon.
Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 08:34:21 AM by buddylover »
Lissa and Buddy

-Roger Caras

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 04:02:05 PM »
How did the vet visit turn out?
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 08:58:41 PM »
Thanks for asking.  It went ok.  They checked him out and didn't find any parasites.  The vet thinks it's an infection so he gave me antibiotics and perscription food.  He said if the diarrhea doesn't clear up by Friday he wants to do blood tests for his kidneys and liver.  I'm crossing my fingers that the meds and food help.
Lissa and Buddy

-Roger Caras

Offline roosmom

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 2
  • when nobody else cares, my bully still loves me
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 09:01:39 PM »
Hey, just a word of advice, stay away from the Pepto, it contains aspirin, and can upset the stomach worse in dogs. Try Keopectate (sorry about the spelling). It works better, and doesn't contain aspirin.

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 07:32:48 PM »
I received an e-mail a while ago that stated that Kaopectate was changing their formula, so I would be sure to check this out before trying it.
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 09:47:50 AM »
Thanks for the warning.  I try to stay away from giving Bud anything over the counter.
He's doing a lot better now.  He's still on the meds and prescription food.  I'm hoping when I start switching him back to his normal food I don't run into any problems.
Thanks for all of the advice.
Lissa and Buddy

-Roger Caras

Offline YogidaBullie

• Bullie Puppy
  • Bullieness: 0
  • I'm cute? I am knowing this!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 07:14:06 AM »

:)
How is Buddy feeling lately? Did that vet visit do the trick? I hope everything is fine.
"If you say I have a face only a mother could love one more time... I'll vomit on your shoes!" -Yogi Berra da Bullie

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 09:04:17 AM »
Thanks for asking :)
Buddy is doing fine.  I've got him on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach which seems to be working well.  He's been really picky about his food for the past few weeks and eating only about half as much as he used to.  He's acting normal and active so I just keep a close eye on him.  He's my baby.
Lissa and Buddy

-Roger Caras

Offline YogidaBullie

• Bullie Puppy
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 09:42:05 AM »
 He's my baby.

Awwwww, I know exactly how you feel, it almost brings you to tears doesn't it??? I'm glad to hear he's doing better. How old is Buddy??  
I hope he stays healthy now for a long long time, nothings worse than a sick baby!
"If you say I have a face only a mother could love one more time... I'll vomit on your shoes!" -Yogi Berra da Bullie

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 08:14:43 PM »
Hey YogidaBullie, I'm only two months late answering your question ;).  Sometimes I jump around in here and forget which messages I've read.
Buddy's 8 months old now.  He's been pretty healthy since that last issue.  He's got a really sensitive stomach and after trying several different foods I've found Califonia Natural to be the best for him.
I hope all is well with Yogi ;D
Take care!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 08:15:31 PM by buddylover »
Lissa and Buddy

-Roger Caras

Offline YogidaBullie

• Bullie Puppy
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 08:15:51 AM »
I't okay about the belated reply, I know exactly what you mean!
So glad to hear Buddy's been healthy, I didn't think he was so young, for some reason I pictured him as an adult bullie. (if there is such a thing, lol) So good for you! I'm even more excited for you, bullie puppies are so funny, they keep you laughing all day, I never laughed so much in my life until we brought Yogi home. It's like thier little comedians, falling on thier heads when they try to run too fast, giving you the funny face when you try to yell at them for chewing your couch, or sleeping on thier backs snoring louder than your mother-in-law!
So again, glad to hear he's doing well, Yogi had a bout of diarrea once when we gave him a funky hoof treat, so now we try not to experiment with new stuff, and once he had a fever and we had to give him antibiotics, so I guess like our human babies they get sick a little more often as puppies.
Yogi is doing great, thanks for asking! At this very moment he's on his back wriggling and growling at himself, he's probably about to get a burst of energy and start tearing up the carpet. It's been below zero the last two days here in connecticut and he's been couped up too long, lol!