Author Topic: puppy questions  (Read 1046 times)

Offline hstires03

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
  • I'm a llama!
puppy questions
« on: February 25, 2004, 01:27:39 PM »
me and my boyfriend just got a bulldog puppy. we took her to the vet to get checked out and i left out additional questions. can someone help us? what are some home remedies that we can use for those little bumps around her mouth?

also, what are some home remedies for her eye stains and wrinkles?

how can we teach her to let us know when she needs to go outside to go to the bathroom?

one last thing, we always make sure her water dish is full, but she is going to the bathroom a lot and it's annoying, it can be every hour too sometimes. do i not give her so much all the time?

thanks!!!!! ;D

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
Re:puppy questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 02:31:48 PM »
Hi hstires03!

The little bumps are probably just acne - puppies often get this and she'll probably outgrow the problem.  Even so, you might consider using  stainless steel food and water dishes as they are less likely to hold bacteria, which can contribute to the problem.  

For the tear stains and wrinkle cleaning you may want to try using a cotton ball lightly wetted with hydrogen peroxide (be careful around the eyes), then wipe dry with another cotton ball.  In addition, a good way to keep wrinkles healthy is to apply a bit of unscented desitin or other diaper rash ointment to the fold after cleaning with the peroxide.  

You'll probably find that your Bullie will end up teaching you to take her outside.  it sounds odd but it's true - you'll eventually learn her routine and know when it's time to do her business.  Most will begin to sniff and circle around just before they go.  If you see your Bullie doing this, immediately take her outside to and make sure you reward her with lots of praise and a treat when she goes outside.  

The going to the bathroom alot situation is unavoidable for a small puppy.  At best they can probably hold it for about one hour per month of age.  Even so, you'll need to teach your pup that there is a payoff for holding it - lots of praise and a treat if they only do it outside.  They get nothing for going in the house.  Be consistent and as your Bullie ages, things will get better.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 02:33:08 PM by Lord Goliath »
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com