Author Topic: Demodex  (Read 2847 times)

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 39
  • Never give up!
Demodex
« on: March 10, 2004, 01:14:06 PM »
Has anyone had their bully treated for Demodex using the dip Mitaban?
My vet wants to dip my Wilma (and Trixie now).  I have read that this stuff is pretty toxic and I am worried about my babies.  They are only 5 and 4 months old.  I have spoken to someone who gave the oral Ivermectin to her Pom and the dog is fine now with no side effects (the dog was bald from the mites!).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jodi
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:
Wilma - English Bulldog - 9/25/2003
Trixie - English Bulldog - 10/26/2003
Indy - Doberman Pinscher - 11/15/2003
R.I.P Zoe - Doberman Pinscher - 5/9/1995 - 1/12/2010

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
Re:Demodex
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 01:27:34 PM »
Did your vet say if it was generalized or localized demodex?  In most cases if it is localized they can be treated more sucesfully without dips.  They treat topically instead.  

If it is generalized then your babies may need to undergo the mitaban dips.  Goliath has not suffered from demodex so I can't say for sure about the toxicity. I do know that the dipper should be wearing rubber gloves and be in a well ventiliated area so there must be some fumes.  

I am not sure about oral ivermectin.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 01:29:36 PM by Lord Goliath »
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Never give up!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 02:17:31 PM »
It seems to be spreading on Wilma.  Trixie has just shown signs of it.
That stuff just seems so toxic I hate to put them through it...
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:

Offline MyDogsMom

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 14
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
It is toxic but just like when kids get lice it needs to be treated with a dip.  My Haskell had an on going case of demodex, he would even break out if he was stressed.  My Vet gave me the dip and I would do spot dips on him with cotton balls.  The first time I dipped him I almost made him blind I did not put enough oil around his eyes and some of it got into his eyes.  I ran to the vet and he gave me medication to flush out his eyes.  After about 3 day's all was well.  

A lot of bullies go thru this while going thru puberty. Not to worry about the dip if the vet does it you should be fine. If he gives you the dip make sure he explains to you just how to do it, don’t just say ok like I did.  Make sure you protect you baby.

One more thing to add, my friend got a puppy from a stray dog it is a pit-bull mix, well he started to loss his hair around his eyes, I thought it looked real funny but it did not look like mange to me so he took the puppy 2 months old to the vet and yep he had it.  So he has been getting dips for about 2-3 months now. He is getting all his hair back and looking like a dog again.  He looked pretty funny with out any hair on his face.

Don’t worry it is pretty common.  If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.  I dealt with this for 5 plus years.
Im my dogs' Human
8/18/99 - 3/4/04 not long enough was my Haskell with me I will see you soon little budda.

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 07:30:09 PM »
Lumpy has been through treatment for Demodex twice (so far....). The LSU Vet School gave me Ivomec to treat him. He is beautiful now. Nubbin, my first dog, also looked like a turkey vulture from Demodex when we first saw her at 5 weeks old. LSU treated her with Ivomec, also. I am a firm believer in it! But, there are side effects to watch for with the Ivomec, also. Mitaban has been pulled off of the market as far as I know. . You cannot get it anymore. I do recommend getting Trixie & Wilma spayed ASAP if they are not already as stressors (such as being in heat) can make them break with Demodex again. The Vet School here will not treat your Demodectic animal if you do not agree to have it spayed/neutered.
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Never give up!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 10:30:05 AM »
These dogs will be spayed (for sure!).  My vet thought the stress of surgery would aggravate the situation so she suggested we spay after the treatments.  The dip was Amitraz (or something like that).  I would have the vet do it just so they could be there in case of a bad reaction.  
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:

Offline MyDogsMom

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 14
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 02:52:01 PM »
One thing to remember is make sure your vet knows how to work on Bullies.  Please make sure, if he does not then find a new vet.  Just some advice, from someone that has been thru this in the past.  My bullie had a messed up cherry eye becasue the vet did not know what he was doing.
Im my dogs' Human
8/18/99 - 3/4/04 not long enough was my Haskell with me I will see you soon little budda.

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Never give up!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 04:41:48 PM »
They have several bullies in this practice.  As a matter of fact, on Wilma's 1st visit, he had just done a C-section and delivered 6 puppies!!  They have assured me that the dip works faster and better than in oral Ivermectin.  I am going to let them do it at their office so if, on the outside chance anything goes awry, they will be right there to take action.  I have had dogs my whole life but none have been as special as these babies.  I am glad you are doing better too.  I can't tell you how much I enjoy that picture of Haskell in his tux!  It's memories like that that keep us going.  It's wonderful to have a place like this to talk and share.   James and Goliath deserve major kudos for it and I thank them.  As a new bullie owner, I don't know what I would have done without this.
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 07:52:13 PM »
We got Lumpy neutered & Nubbin spayed while they were going through treatment so that they wouldn't stress out b/c of the surgery. But, we waited until we had it under control. Lumpy goes in to the Vet School tomorrow for vacciations & a general check up for his skin. I could try to get some info on Amitraz for you from them if you want. Good luck on their treatment! Please keep us updated on your babies progress.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Never give up!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 07:12:55 AM »
You can't too much information.  Anything you can find out would be most appreciated!
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 07:44:50 PM »
The derm tech told me that the vet school quit doing the dips before the back order on Mitaban for several reasons. You have to shave the animal before dipping to make sure that the dip reaches the hair follicles & does not just stay on the hair itself. Every part of the animal has to be dipped. The dip has to dry on the animal & not be rinsed off. The dip is caustic & you have to wear gloves to do it. (Just a personal note: I'm not sure I would want to put anything on my babies that I would have to wear gloves to apply). Some animals get lethargic & anorexic after the dip is applied.
She says that she has seen really good results from Ivomec in as little as two months. I know that is true for the Lump & Nubbin. But, there are side effects for Ivomec, also. Some of the higher doses (which you gradually work up to) can cause problems, so you would have to back the dosage back down. Nubbin & Lumpy did not have any bad reactions to it, though.
Mitaban is the only "labeled" treatment for Demodex. Ivomec is an off label use to treat it.  
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 07:46:04 PM by brumzoo »

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Never give up!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 12:57:29 PM »
I have decided against the dip. You're right - if I have to wear rubber gloves, why would I want that on my puppies skin?
Wilma (30lbs) will be getting a 6ML daily dose for 60 days and Trixie (25lbs) will be getting 5ML.  Everything I have read (information overload!!) and most advice seems to be against the dip so that's the way I am going to proceed. The Ivomec liquid just seems the better solution.  The vet aslo told me I can still have Wilma spayed while she is taking this treatment.,

Thanks for all the help.  It's great having you all out there.
Jodi
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:

Offline sherrydabulls

• Bullie
  • Bullieness: 0
  • Me -myself and I
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »
My poor Cookie was dipped in that about 5 times and she was a very sick little girl when she was young.....

But....it sure helped her alot... she is now al-most 7 my fat-chubby girl :)
Sherry and her kids:)

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Never give up!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 01:54:08 PM »
Just an update on my girls:
They have been treated with  the IVOMEC for about a month now.  They went for their skin scrapings today.  All the mites were dead and there were only a few.  They have to be treated for another 2 weeks and they will be done!.  My Wilma is also being spayed today.  I miss her so much and she's only been gone since 9 this morning....
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 06:36:36 PM »
Jodi,

That's great news. I am glad to hear that your babies are getting over the demodex.  Let us know how Wilma's spay goes, though I am sure she'll be fine.
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com