Author Topic: Itchy butt with a twist  (Read 2288 times)

Offline sayah

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
  • I'm a llama!
Itchy butt with a twist
« on: March 30, 2004, 03:25:27 PM »
Alice is born without a tail, there's just some folds and a little fur-stump where the tail usually is. The anal area is not infected, this is just above it. Her symptoms are: biting her paws (not other skin problems or allergies, I have that covered. She is allergic to certain food and eats cortisone (Prednisolon, have you heard of it?) and her allergy is under control. Also, I keep a eye on her skin and she doesn't have any yeast infection at her paws, lice or anything like that.) and grinding and scratching her little butt along the floor. Asphalt, carpets and grass also works as things to drag herself upon. One of the biggest concerns is that she's giving herself yeast infections in her gender area and burns her skin there.

I have been to the vet several times trying to stop her pain and itching. It's not a problem with the anal glands, and I've tried ointmens, local anaesthestics, leaving it alone, telling her to stop. I've also put on little boy underpants to try and protect the vaginal area from injury. They don't know what to do with her, besides giving her anti-itch-medication which works fine on the allergy but not on the itchy butt.

Now I've searched the web about inverted tails and found that some amputathe their dogs. How does that work, do some of you have experience from this? I've spoken to a vet who says they've done the procedure on a few dogs but mainly cutting away excess skin and folds. What is the success rate?

Do you know something I've missed? What would you do if you were in my shoes? I don't like to see Alice suffering at all and wish I could fix it, now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 03:27:42 PM by sayah »

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 108
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
    • Love-a-Bull MN Bulldog Rescue
Re:Itchy butt with a twist
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 06:37:32 PM »
Sayah you mentioned that Alice doesn't have a tail - does she still have a tail pocket?  You mentioned that it wasn't the anal glands and that the problems was just above it and that's where the tail pocket it.  To be honest I didn't even know what or where the tail pocket was until my vet pointed it out.   I had problems with Buddy's tail pocket getting infected and he would scoot across the room so often that his tail (it's a little button tail) lost hair and got all bloody and raw.  We went to the vet several times about it and he suggested amputation.  After doing some research I decided I didn't want to do the surgery (person choice).  My vet gave me this stuff called panalog ointment to squirt on his stub of a tail an in his tail pocket.  He hasn't had any problems since then.  The panalog ointment is the same stuff the vet gives to put in ears for ear infections.  
I don't know if Alice has the same thing but the symptoms are exactly the same.
Lissa and Buddy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-Roger Caras

Offline brumzoo

• Mrs. Save the World
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 542
  • Lumpy's Mom!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 07:26:54 PM »
I have to clean under Lumpy's tail at least every other day. The dermatologist gave me Malacetic wipes. I have seen one bully with an amputated tail...you couldn't tell. It really looked good. Lumpy's is not bad for that, though.   :)
Good luck with Alice. Please let us know what you decide to do.
Trish, Jeff, Lumpy & zoo! Until we meet again with Precious, Sapphy and Onnie.

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline sayah

• Bullie Baby
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 05:23:44 AM »
I don't see a fold under her "tail" (stump), but she does have something of a tail pocket. She's scooted so much that most of her fur on the hind-legs is gone, it looks like I've shaved it off or something.  ;) I've spoken to another vet today who is going to contact a colleague and discuss Alices chances for recovery and what should be done. I should know more later today.

Maybe they'll just cut off some excess skin and folds, maybe they want to cut in the actual spine. That sounds so scary, cutting in my little babie.  :'( Although I don't know why, she's already had surgery several times. Cherry eye, tonsillectomi, pyometra, to name a few things. I really hope this works, so we can get her itching deleted forever.  :)

P.S. I can't really reach enough to clean the furstump, but of course I bathe her and as I wrote her earlier she doesn't have any problems with her anal area or faeces.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 05:29:28 AM by sayah »

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 108
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
    • Love-a-Bull MN Bulldog Rescue
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 07:26:12 AM »
I hope your vet gives your the answers you're looking for.  It does sound like the tail pocket.  If you get in the tail pocket with a baby wipe and clean it out you may be able to relieve some of her discomfort while your waiting to make a decision on the surgery.
Lissa and Buddy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-Roger Caras

Offline MyDogsMom

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 14
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 02:24:58 PM »
Man this is a new one, you have done everything I would have done.  Maybe a little medicated powder???  Like the Gold Bond stuff maybe that would help to dry and moisture and also relieve the itch.  Just a thought like i said this is the first time i have ever heard of this.  Good luck let us know how she is.
Im my dogs' Human
8/18/99 - 3/4/04 not long enough was my Haskell with me I will see you soon little budda.

Offline sayah

• Bullie Baby
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 02:28:27 PM »
Thanks for your answers! I've gotten a vet-appointment the 20 april, I'll have to wait til then. The vet thinks surgery is a good idea, since I've done most everything else  ;D, but she wants to discuss how much to cut off and such things.

Offline MyDogsMom

• Bullie Lord
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 02:34:53 PM »
This is great news, let us know what happens.  Also, have you stoped her from Itching?? ask your vet if maybe some powder would help??
Im my dogs' Human
8/18/99 - 3/4/04 not long enough was my Haskell with me I will see you soon little budda.

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 39
  • Never give up!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 03:04:26 PM »
I hate to admit this but I put a small amount of Desitin (diaper rash oinment for human babies) underneath Wilma's tail.  She has one of those real curly tight tails.  I clean it daily and use the baby diaper rash ointment about once a week.  Just a little bit goes a long way.  Trixie had a rash on her private area and the Desitin cleared it up overnight.   Neither WIlma or Trixie tried to lick the area that I applied the ointment to.
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:
Wilma - English Bulldog - 9/25/2003
Trixie - English Bulldog - 10/26/2003
Indy - Doberman Pinscher - 11/15/2003
R.I.P Zoe - Doberman Pinscher - 5/9/1995 - 1/12/2010

Offline sayah

• Bullie Baby
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 03:09:23 PM »
I'll see what I can get my hands on over here (in Sweden). Maybe some baby powder, we've tried some diaper rash ointment with bad results already. I don't let her scoot, but it's hard to keep full control over her at all times.  :) I guess I'll keep on with the little underpants to try and protect her skin until the appointment.

Does your dogs reach their private area? Alice doesn't even come close.  ;D

Offline JodiB

• Bullie Lord
  • Bullieness: 39
  • Never give up!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 03:57:42 PM »
Nah.  They can't get their big fat heads even close!
Peace!
Jodi
owned by:
Wilma - English Bulldog - 9/25/2003
Trixie - English Bulldog - 10/26/2003
Indy - Doberman Pinscher - 11/15/2003
R.I.P Zoe - Doberman Pinscher - 5/9/1995 - 1/12/2010

Offline MyDogsMom

• Bullie Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 04:23:49 PM »
Hey an Idea what if you made a bath tub with water in it put sea salt in the water then make sure you get the salty water all over her back end.  soak for about 15-20 min just to make sure that the salt is doing it's job we use to do this with my sister when she was little becasue the dipers gave her a very bad rash after soking in the salt water has to be sea salt the rash would be gone the next day.  I fear that keeping the underpants on maybe making it worst because of the moister issue. After try and let her air dry it may while it is drying seam like she is more itchy but that is becasue of the salt on the skin once it drys it should help relieve the itchness also.
Im my dogs' Human