Author Topic: eye problem with new puppy  (Read 2228 times)

Offline XIveHadBetterX

• Bullie Baby
  • Bullieness: 0
eye problem with new puppy
« on: May 11, 2004, 06:19:58 PM »
my 9 week old puppy has recently had one eye start to become really watery and red.  It is effecting one eye.  I have only had him for about 4 days and he showed no signs of it when we got him.  This morning his eye was stuck shut with eye goobers and i had to wash them off with a wet wash cloth.  His eye was still red and it seems to be itching him.  He has an appointment with the vet on friday but i was just wondering what could be causing this?  Just an irritation, allergies?  or something worse?  Thanks guys.

Offline Lord Goliath

• Alpha Bulldog
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 174
  • Mess with a Bulldog, get the slobber!
    • Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain
Re:eye problem with new puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:53:21 PM »
Did this come on suddenly?  If so it's likely that your pup may have gotten some foreign matter in his eye or he may have scratch or otherwise injured it somehow.  

I am not sure about allergies since it's only one eye right? I guess it could be though.  Now is the season.

Honestly though since it's just one eye, I am voting for a foreign body in the eye.  The tearing is probably the body's attempt to flush it out.  See if you can notice anything in his eye.

Please keep us updated.
Kind regards,
James and Goliath

I will always strive to be the person my Bulldog thinks I am. 
http://bulldogdomain.com

Express yourself, Bullie Dog Style!
http://bulliedogstyle.com

Offline XIveHadBetterX

• Bullie Baby
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »
yes it is only in one eye so allergies is probably a long shot.  When he got up today his eye wasnt stuck shut with goobers like it was yesterday.  So i guess thats some what of an improvment.  I haven't noticed anything in/on his eye so much,... its just more red in the corner of his one eye than the other and it tears up alot more.  I'm trying not too worry about ti too much and like i said he goes to see the doctor on friday.  We have had kittens before where they would have problems with their eyes getting stuck shut but they grew out of it.  I dunno if puppyies will do the same thing?

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 108
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
    • Love-a-Bull MN Bulldog Rescue
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 11:04:10 AM »
Buddy has one eye that tears up more then the other one and there's nothing wrong with it but when he was a baby it would get red often and kind of gunky.  It's easy for puppies to get poked with a branch or something if they're playing outside or like James said with foreign matter - even dirt and dust and do it.  Sometimes even when they scratch they can catch a nail on one of their eyes.  Sounds like your paying close attention to it so if it were to get bad you would know.  I wouldn't worry too much.
Lissa and Buddy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-Roger Caras

Offline XIveHadBetterX

• Bullie Baby
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »
the vet said he has a staph infection in his eye nd gave me some drops.  he has improved 100%.

Offline buddylover

• Bullie Queen
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Bullie
  • Bullieness: 108
  • I love my Boo Bear!!!
    • Love-a-Bull MN Bulldog Rescue
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 12:36:33 PM »
Poor baby!  Glad to hear he's better though.  It was smart of you to make that appointment so he could be treated before anything serious may have happened.
Kisses to you bulliedoggie :-*
Lissa and Buddy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

-Roger Caras